Just because a product has reached the end of its useful life, that doesn't mean its materials aren't still useful. That's why materials reclamation and recycling has long been a key consideration in the way we design our products.
More than a smart way to ensure materials remain in a continuous cycle of use, we believe creating products that can be recycled (and building the infrastructure to reclaim and recycle them) is critical to creating a new, circular economy — one in which valuable materials never become waste.
A global leader in post-consumer carpet recycling, Patcraft has reclaimed and recycled more than 900 million pounds of carpet. Through our EcoWorx® recycling, carpet–to–energy (Re2E), and waste–to–energy processes, we have a diverse portfolio of recycling solutions allowing us to employ the best possible use for the materials that we reclaim. Our commercial and residential take–back programs allow us to convert carpet that has reached the end of its useful life on the floor back into carpet, into materials for other industries, or into energy to power our manufacturing operations.
Clear Path Recycling
Plastic drink bottles can become carpet, too. The largest plastic bottle recycling facility in North America, Shaw Clear Path Recycling converts more than 160 million pounds of plastic bottles into PET carpet fiber annually. The process saves 1.9 trillion BTUs of energy compared to manufacturing PET from virgin materials — that's enough energy to power more than 20,000 US homes.
Our Environmental Guarantee
Recycling our products matters so much, our EcoWorx® commercial carpet tile and broadloom products come with a global Environmental Guarantee.
The Guarantee pledges that we'll reclaim and recycle our EcoWorx® products at the end of their useful lives — at no cost.*
*Environmental Guarantee Guidelines
- Continental US and Canada: Shaw will take back 500 yards or greater of EcoWorx® material at no cost to you.
- Alaska, Hawaii, other US Territories and Mexico: Shaw will take back 5,000 yards or greater of EcoWorx® material at no cost to you, and will assume the cost to transport the material to our recycling facilities.
- International locations: Shaw will take back 5,000 yards or greater of EcoWorx® material from any international port at no cost to you. Shaw will pay for the transportation cost of EcoWorx® material from any international port, and will assume the cost to transport the material to our recycling facilities.
Material must meet the following requirements:
- Free of all types of debris and uncontaminated by any toxic substances, such as solvents. Adhesive residue on the backing is acceptable.
- No other carpet tile backing, such as PVC or other roll carpet backings, may be mixed on EcoWorx® pallets.
- EcoWorx® Broadloom and Performance Broadloom products must be cut and rolled and no longer than 3 feet wide.
For more information, or to arrange for the recycling of EcoWorx® products, call 800.509.SHAW.