Patcraft’s EcoWorx® carpet tile was the first flooring product in the industry to meet the standards of becoming Cradle to Cradle Certified® Silver, including being the first fully recyclable flooring product. Over the last two decades, we have continued to enhance our design and operational processes as we seek to advance the ways in which we can positively influence people and planet. In 2021, we launched our first Cradle to Cradle Certified® Gold collection, Reverse™.
The Cradle to Cradle Certified® Products Program is a trusted and science-based standard for designing and manufacturing safe, circular and responsibly made products that maximize health and wellbeing for people and the environment. To become Cradle to Cradle Certified®, manufacturers must outline work and advancements in each of five certification categories: Material Health; Product Circularity; Water & Soil Stewardship; Clean Air & Climate Protection; and Social Fairness.
Within each pillar, there are levels of basic, bronze, silver, gold and platinum which products are scored. The lowest level a product meets in any one of the five certification categories is the product’s overall score. Meaning, if a product scored bronze in Clean Air & Climate Protection, Silver in Material Health and Product Circularity, and Gold in Water & Soil Stewardship and Social Fairness, the overall level of certification would be Bronze.
Obtaining Cradle to Cradle Certified® Gold for Reverse™ highlights Patcraft’s commitment to continuously push ourselves in all five pillars of Cradle to Cradle®. Some examples of the increased rigor to get to Gold level 3.1 certification include, but are not limited to:
- The use of a carefully curated selection of materials that passed the Restricted Substance List of chemicals within the Material Health pillar.
- The waste minimization and collection effort allocation of 100 percent recycled content through our new EcoSolution Q100™ yarn, and the ability to be recycled at the end of its useful life to meet Product Circularity thresholds for Gold.
- Patcraft’s participation in Associate Resource Groups and other actions to support diversity and inclusion throughout the enterprise, as well as detailing our work to uphold fair labor expectations for our vast supply chain within the Social Fairness pillar.
- Patcraft’s continued work in lowering carbon emissions through the use of the EcoSolution Q100™ yarn, as well as making more products available with low embodied carbon or as carbon neutral for the Clean Air & Climate Protection pillar.
- Our ability to gather additional water usage information from our suppliers, as well as show how water leaving our facilities is treated, met the Water & Soil Stewardship pillar of continuing to advance our work in ensuring clean water and healthy soil.
Cradle to Cradle® is a commitment to design products that keep the environment and people top of mind. Each level within the Cradle to Cradle® design standards features more stringent requirements to obtain. As we aim to continuously push ourselves, this Gold level certification highlights our ability to innovate and collaborate internally and with our suppliers to achieve greater levels of sustainable design.